How to (just barely) Survive Moving to New York

Monday, July 17, 2006

Another Reason I Might Move to Duluth Instead

Washington, DC's Police Chief, Charles Ramsey, declared a state of emergency for the city because we've had so many homicides this month. There have been something like 15 murders in 17 days, which is actually not much more than last year, but this year one of them happened in Georgetown. That compounded with the fact that female tourists have been getting mauled near the Washington Monument and well, people are a bit freaked out.

I wasn't freaked out though because I'm 24, so that means I'm invincible.

At least I thought I was . Then I heard about another homicide that took place ONE block from the Scooby Snack's apartment. Right in Adams Morgan a 24-year-old was stabbed to death after a drunken fight. I've seen full-on brawls in Adams Morgan and, while it's a bit disconcerting, I always thought "boys will be boys."

But this news almost made me feel like moving to New York would be safer. Until I found out what happened in my friendly, neighborhood subway station.

At the 110th station by my apartment, a man picked up a power saw (it seems there was construction and the saw was just lying around. Hmmmm...) and started chasing people around the platform with it, finally attacking a 64-year-old man. The 64-year-old is fine (although I don't know how fine you can be after surviving a power saw assault) and the attacker fled. The assailant's description was something along the lines of:
Short, bald, mid-30s, earrings in both ears, possibly carrying a teddy bear.

They caught the teddy-bear-toting, saw-wielding bad guy. Still, I feel like no place is safe. Well, no place except Duluth. So that's where I'm moving, and I'm going to officially change this blog's name to How to Survive Moving to Duluth.

Of course, I won't have anything to write about....










This is Duluth. Ain't she a byoot?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home